Good Morning, Knights! A Message from Provost Hannigan

MONDAY MOTIVATOR
Today’s message is from Christine Campbell, Associate Director / Academic Skills Specialist

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m missing the faces of my everyday Clarkson life and the chance meetings in the hallways that always bring a smile to my face.

…I am excited to return to those familiar routines and encounters!

In thinking about what to write today, I was drawn to our diverse circumstances and the uncertainty of this time. Our experience is as different as our varied home and work situations; and the uncertainty of its duration results in unfamiliar stressors. You may find your standard coping mechanisms are wearing thin or not suited to your new environment.

While I’m no expert, I thought I’d share my affinity for mindfulness and meditation. In recent years these practices have helped me walk through my life with courage, positivity, and grace. My hope is that they can do the same for you.

The ideas and practices are simple and yet, if practiced with even a minimal degree of consistency, the resulting peace of mind can be profound.  Take it from your children…they tend to see the changes before we do!

• Gratitude
    • Before getting out of bed conjure a specific thought that evokes a smile or chuckle
    • Moving between “work” and “home” is happening more fluidly, find gratitude in the proximity and embrace unexpected moments of joy
    • Before bed, turn your thoughts to compassion for yourself and others as we stumble through our new reality
  • Mindfulness
    • Acknowledge and accept the presence or absence of emotions
    • Consider that realization and take time to pull it apart and find the “why”
  • Meditation
    • Take a few minutes to be present in the moment, even 2 minutes can make a difference

The Clarkson community has much to be grateful for, especially its people! We’re an innovative and spirited bunch. Those are my thoughts for this Monday.

I’ll leave you with the vision of us meeting in the hallways again…all smiles!

Be well,

Chris Campbell

You Might Also Like