Clarkson University Student Wins Regional Award from National Aerospace Engineering Honors Society

Clarkson University Aerospace Engineering major Andres Garcia Jimenez ‘20 was recently announced as the winner of the Sigma Gamma Tau Undergraduate Award for the Northeastern Region.

Andres Garcia Jimenez ‘20

Sigma Gamma Tau is the national honors society for aerospace engineering and was created in 1953 at Purdue University. The purpose of the society is to recognize the outstanding achievements of students studying aerospace engineering and to encourage high ethical standards and professional practice. The Undergraduate Award recognizes outstanding students at the regional and national level, in particular, their accomplishments as they start their careers.

As the winner of the Northeast Regional award, Jiminez is now a contender for the national award against the other eight regional award recipients.

Jiminez said he was honored to have received the award from Sigma Gamma Tau.

“It is difficult to express what it truly means to be selected amongst so many deserving colleagues across the region,” Jiminez said. “I am touched that Sigma Gamma Tau National Honors Society, which does so much to promote our profession, would distinguish me as a student worthy of this award. I could not have done it without the help of all my professors, specifically Professor (Craig) Merrett who helped me get involved with the Honors Society, and Professor (Ioannis) Mastorakos who allowed me to get involved in my field through research and inspired me to continue my work to promote my profession and better the world. I am also very thankful for the opportunities Clarkson University has provided me during my undergraduate career allowing me to grow as a future engineer in my field.”

Assistant Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering Professor Craig Merrett, who is also the faculty advisor for Clarkson’s chapter of Sigma Gamma Tau, expressed pride in Jiminez for his recognition by the honors society.

“I am delighted that Andres Garcia Jiminez won the Sigma Gamma Tau Undergraduate Award for the Northeastern Region,” Merrett said. “The Award recognizes Andres’ stellar academic and research achievements within aerospace engineering. Having taught Andres for two courses within our aeronautical engineering program, I predict that he will have a successful career in aerospace where he will make significant contributions. Andres’ success highlights the levels of achievement possible by our aeronautical engineering students, and serves as an inspiration to our first-year students.”

Click here for a shareable link: https://www.clarkson.edu/news/clarkson-university-student-wins-regional-award-national-aerospace-engineering-honors-society

You Might Also Like