On behalf of Student Affairs at Clarkson University, we look forward to your arrival in August. We recognize that you may have been reading guidelines from Governor Cuomo of New York State and the US government. International students and students arriving from certain states on Governor Cuomo’s Travel Advisory list must quarantine for 14 days upon arrival to Clarkson. This is a new directive and at this time Clarkson University officials are reviewing further information and awaiting details on questions raised.
Since your location of residence is currently listed within these guidelines, we wanted to reassure you that Clarkson has a team reaching out to state officials for more guidance. At this time, we are asking all impacted students to arrive (residential and non-residential) on August 1, 2020 in order to begin the academic semester in-person on time. Residential students will quarantine in a Clarkson Residential Facility, and non-residential students will quarantine at their off-campus location.
Graduate Health Science Students
Students enrolled in graduate Health Science Programs have been provided different guidelines. Late last week, NYS DOH updated its guidance regarding the mandated quarantine for the state’s travel advisory. The update confirms that students enrolled in healthcare education programs who reside out of state do not need to quarantine for 14 days upon their return to New York. Rather, those students can adhere to the essential worker guidance which says essential workers staying in New York for longer than 36 hours must: 1) be tested within 24 hours of their arrival in New York, 2) monitor temperature and symptoms, wear face covering in public, maintain social distance, and clean/disinfect work spaces for at least 14 days, and 3) avoid extended periods in public, contact with strangers, and large congregate settings for at least 7 days. This does not apply to any undergraduate program.
Campus Residents: If you have an off-campus location in a region of New York State rated Phase 3 or higher, and where all residents at that address will adhere to quarantine guidelines you can provide proof and a negative test upon arrival for move-in day in lieu of on-campus quarantine.
- Students will not be allowed to leave their quarantine room except to use the restroom where applicable.
- Where applicable, students must wear a face covering to exit their quarantine room, and use sanitation supplies on all surfaces within the restrooms.
- The maximum occupancy of all bathrooms will be indicated on each restroom door from August 1-15.
- Students will order meals online and have them delivered to their quarantine room. All food will be at the students expense at a discounted rate. This period is not part of the campus dining/meal plan.
- A Care Team Member from campus will be assigned to you to answer questions and to be a resource during the quarantine period.
Off-Campus Residents: If you have a location in a region of New York State rated Phase 3 or higher, and where all residents at that address will adhere to quarantine guidelines you can provide proof and a negative test upon arrival for the start of semester in lieu of quarantining in Potsdam.
- Students residing off-campus will not be allowed to leave their residence.
- If you are residing with others, they need to quarantine in place with you.
- For groceries / market goods, students are asked to use InstaCart, and online ordering and delivery service during the quarantine period.
- A Care Team Member from campus will be assigned to you to answer questions and to be a resource during the quarantine time frame.
We also realize that you and your family may have questions as well. Please feel free to reach out to me firstname.lastname@example.org. This an evolving list and know that your quarantine requirement may change in the coming weeks. We will continue to communicate updated information to you.
Vice President of Enrollment & Student Advancement