Three students pose for a photo wearing lanyards in front of a media backdrop for the APS Annual Convention.

Clarkson University Students Shine at the 2024 Association for Psychological Science (APS) Annual Convention

Three Clarkson University students, Nabiha Madre, Danielle Lindsay, and Siva Korakutty presented their research at this year’s APS Annual Convention in San Francisco, held from May 23-26. The convention, a gathering point for notable figures in psychology, provided a solid platform for these students to showcase their studies. Under the guidance of Assistant Professor of Psychology Ying Zhang from the Cultural, Family, and Child Development lab, their presentations effectively engaged the audience, earning well-deserved recognition.

Nabiha Madre, a senior psychology major, delivered an oral presentation titled “Family dynamics and the development of self-regulation in childhood: A scoping review” alongside a poster session for her capstone project “Intimate Partner Violence Experience in College Students: Coercive Control, Emotional Health, and Gender-Based Differences.” Reflecting on the experience, Nabiha shared, “Presenting at APS this year was an amazing experience. I had the chance to network with psychology students and professors from across the world and share some of the results from my thesis with them. It was an extremely unique experience, and I am grateful that I had the opportunity to present for a second year in a row. I am grateful to the Clarkson Honors Program for giving me the HEES scholarship to fund my trip.”

Danielle Lindsay, a junior psychology major and McNair scholar, discussed her research proposal “Intergenerational Patterns of Intimate Partner Violence (IPV): The Influence of Racial Profiling and Stereotyping.” Her work explores the complex dynamics between childhood experiences of racial profiling and the perpetuation of IPV in adulthood. Reflecting on her first APS presentation, Danielle said” The feedback was quite informative. The encouragement I received from others was a great motivator to continue doing research. Starting a research project can be exciting, but it’s much more rewarding when others recognize its potential to address real-world issues. I’m taking the encouragement and feedback to the lab and continuing to work.”

Siva Korakutty, a recent graduate with a master’s degree in Data Science, presented his findings at a Machine Learning symposium on the topic of “Exploring early childhood self-regulation: Advancing predictive analysis with machine Learning.” Siva expressed his enthusiasm, saying “My trip to APS was nothing short of transformative. From engaging with the latest research in our fields of Psychology and Machine Learning to networking with esteemed professionals, every moment was a testament to the boundless opportunities available in academia. Witnessing the convergence of diverse perspectives and innovative ideas in Generative Artificial Intelligence was truly inspiring, igniting a fervent passion for lifelong learning. This experience not only enriched my academic pursuits but also strengthened my commitment to making meaningful contributions to our disciplines and society as a whole. Special thanks to Dr. Zhang, Clarkosn’s the Department of Psychology, and Clarkson University Team Science.”

You Might Also Like