Family Weekend: October 19-20

Family Weekend is approaching on Friday and Saturday, October 19th and 20th!
There are myriad fun events that weekend, and you are invited to participate! Please check out the full schedule at www.clarkson.edu/familyweekend.
Some highlights from the weekend include the games and activities offered during Frozen Friday, the men’s and women’s hockey games, and of course, the NCAA National Championship Banner Raising on Saturday, 10/20 at 3 p.m.! The weekend also features student performances, a Pep Rally, and a stand-up comedy performance by John Roberts, the voice of Linda on Bob’s Burgers.
See below for answers to Frequently Asked Questions from parents and family members.
Registration and Attendance
Q: Do I need to register for Family Weekend? How much does registration cost?
A: You are invited, but not required, to register for Family Weekend. This is so we can get an idea of how many families to expect. Registration is completely free!
Q: I cannot attend Family Weekend this year. How will my student feel about this?
A: Many students will not have families visiting during Family Weekend for various reasons. Fortunately, Family Weekend events provide entertainment for all students, regardless of whether or not a family member can accompany them. They will be just fine and will be in good company with many of their friends during the weekend.
Q: I cannot attend Family Weekend this year. Is there another time I can visit instead?
A: Most weekends at Clarkson are chock-full of events and activities for you to enjoy with your student like athletic games, outdoor activities, local restaurants, and community events. With four colleges in the area, there is always something to do! You also won’t have to worry as much about lodging, traffic/parking, and crowded local restaurants during most other weekends.
Schedule
Q: Where can I find the list of Family Weekend events?
A: Our most up-to-date schedule will always be posted at www.clarkson.edu/familyweekend. A printed schedule will be available for you at the Student Center Desk when you arrive for Family Weekend.
Q: The Family Weekend schedule is so full of events, I don’t think I can make it to everything! Is it OK if I just go to a few of the events?
A: Don’t worry, we don’t expect you to attend every Family Weekend event! We hope you will enjoy picking and choosing from the various types of events and activities so that you can best enjoy the weekend with your student.
Q: Is there a fee for Family Weekend events?
A: Family Weekend, as a whole, is completely free! Specific meals and activities, like the hockey games, may require a fee for entry/tickets, and those are specifically noted on the Family Weekend schedule.
Lodging
Q: All of the local hotels are sold out! Where should I stay?
A: Unfortunately, our small community does not have enough lodging to support every family member during peak visiting times. Many families get creative by finding campgrounds, private home rentals, or looking outside the area for lodging.

Hockey tickets
Q: How do I get tickets for the Women’s Hockey game on Saturday, 10/20? Will tickets be sold out if I wait to purchase them at the door?
A: Tickets are on sale in person at the Cheel Ticket Office starting Monday, 10/1. The Ticket Office will be open during Family Weekend on Friday, 10/19 starting at 10 a.m. until 9:00 p.m., and then Saturday, 10/20 starting at 9:00 a.m. Tickets will not be sold out. Last year we had 2,200 guests attend our Women’s Hockey game during Family Weekend, but our capacity in Cheel Arena is 4,000.
Q: I haven’t requested my tickets for the Men’s Hockey games on Friday, 10/19 and Saturday, 10/20 yet. Is it too late? Can I still mail in the Hockey Ticket Request Form? Will those games sell out?
A: We are close to being sold-out for *seated tickets* for both games, so it is too late to mail back the Hockey Ticket Request Form. We will have *standing room tickets* that will go on sale 90 minutes before the game and it is very unlikely that those tickets will sell out.  If you still want to purchase seats, it is best to call the Ticket Office at 315-268-7750 or have your student stop in and purchase tickets in person.
Q: My student says they get into hockey games for free. Can I sit with my student at the hockey games on Friday, 10/19 and Saturday, 10/20, or do I need to buy a ticket for my student?
A: Students get in to the Friday night hockey game for free with their Clarkson ID, but not the Saturday night hockey game. On Friday night, students who get in for free must stay in the student section only. Family members may join students in the student section, but it should be noted that students typically don’t sit in this section – they stand! The Pep Band will also be playing in the student section (which is very loud). If you would like to sit with your student outside of the student section on Friday night, they and you must purchase a ticket. Both students and families must purchase tickets for the Saturday night game.
Tamera Rizk
Assistant Dean, Office of Student Life

You Might Also Like