Good Morning, Knights! A Message to Students from Provost Hannigan

MONDAY MOTIVATOR
Today’s Message comes from Shane Rogers, Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering

“Life’s challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they’re supposed to help you discover who you are.” – – Bernice Johnson Reagon – song leader, composer, scholar, social activist, and founding member of the Student Non-violent Coordinating Committee’s (SNCC) Freedom Singers in the Albany Movement in Georgia.

It seems like challenges these days are many, but with the right mindset, these challenges can become opportunities for growth and discovery. Adjusting to the new normal, I am personally realizing growth in my social media ninjitsu (and learning TikTok is a crazy rabbit hole…), finding time to convert my lawn to an edible landscape, figuring out new ideas for online instruction, wondering about how some people are even allowed to have guns and tigers, and having studio time replace in-person practice time with my bandmates. I encourage you to spend some time trying something that you haven’t had the chance to try before, and share it with your favorite faculty member — after studying, of course! They will love to hear your stories.

As many of you know, I often find my voice through music. Today was one of those days. To start off your week, I am sending you an original song that I wrote for my indie rock band (Bee Children), called “Spellbound”. It is a story of hope, love, and a little magic, and was inspired by my time in Norway. It hasn’t been released before – this is its debut! It will appear on our third album, which should release late summer. I hope you enjoy it.

-Shane Rogers,
Associate Prof.,
Civil & Environmental Engineering

Spellbound–Bee Children

You Might Also Like