Clarkson University Student Awarded Research Internship in Germany

Peter Dorovitsine ‘24, a chemical engineering student at Clarkson University, has been awarded the RISE Germany scholarship by the German Exchange Service (DAAD).

Peter Dorovitsine ’24

Dorovitsine will be working at Brunswick Technical University on a project titled “Prediction of fouling in chemical production plants by Machine Learning algorithms,” under the direction of a graduate student at the university.

“Fouling in chemical production plants is the unwanted accumulation of soil in chemical production plants, and fouling impedes the efficiency of those plants,” Dorovitsine explained. “This project aims to reduce these efficiency losses by predicting their prevalence.”

Dorovitsine currently works in the lab of Assistant Professor Dr. Taeyoung Kim, focusing on a project using electrochemical cells to desalinate brackish water. He is excited to travel to Germany, having missed an opportunity in high school due to COVID-19, and is looking forward to the learning experience his internship will provide.

“I’m very grateful that I got this specific internship. I applied to three different internships through the program, but this one was the one I wanted most, since it combines chemical engineering and computer science,” Dorovitsine said. “I have a computer science minor, but during my internship search, I couldn’t find a lot of positions that combined both disciplines, so I’m glad I’ll be able to incorporate them both this summer.” 

Funded by the German Federal Foreign Office, RISE Germany offers undergraduate students from North American, British and Irish universities the opportunity to complete a summer research internship at top German universities and research institutions.

Students are matched with a host university or institute according to their area of interest (biology, chemistry, physics, earth sciences, engineering, or a closely related field) and provided with a monthly stipend for three months to help cover living expenses. Host universities, universities of applied sciences and institutes provide housing assistance and match students with Ph.D. student mentors or researchers 

Read more at www.daad.de/rise/en/rise-germany.

https://www.clarkson.edu/news/clarkson-university-student-awarded-research-internship-germany

You Might Also Like